Considered as the first university in Vietnam, Temple of Literature is not only a historical and cultural relic where many scholars, students come here to pray for luck in examinations, but also a favorite destination for foreign visitors on Ho Chi Minh Complex & Temple of Literature tours by bus.
Where is the Temple of Literature located?
Temple of Literature is located in Dong Da district, Hanoi, right in the middle of 4 main streets including Nguyen Thai Hoc, Ton Duc Thang, Van Mieu, and Quoc Tu Giam.
Temple of Literature
History of Temple of Literature
The Temple of Literature was built in 1070 under King Ly Thanh Tong firstly as a place to worship Confucius. In 1076, King Ly Nhan Tong established Quoc Tu Giam next to the temple to be a university dedicated to the kings and noble families. By the time of King Tran Thai Tong, Quoc Tu Giam was renamed to National Academy and recruited children of civilians with excellent academic ability.
In the post-Le Dynasty, the reign of King Le Thanh Tong began to build the stone pillars that writing the name of those who passed the doctorate. By the Nguyen Dynasty, Quoc Tu Giam was established in Hue. The Temple of Literature in Hanoi was renovated to only Temple of Literature in Bac Thanh town, then changed to Hanoi Temple of Literature.
The architecture of the Temple of Literature
The complex of Temple of Literature relics is currently located within the precinct of 54331 m2, including many different small architectural works. Covering the campus is the brick walls. Through many remodeling, this complex of relics includes Literature lake, Van Mieu gate, Dai Trung gate, Khue Van Cac, Thien Quang well, Dai Thanh gate, Thai Hoc house.
The teaching house in the east and west consists of 2 blocks of 14 spaces. The student's classroom consists of three blocks. The entire architecture of the Temple of Literature is now the architecture of the early Nguyen Dynasty. The Temple of Literature architectural complex is arranged for each zone.
In front of the Temple of Literature, there is a large lake called Van Chuong Lake, the old name is called Thai Ho. In the middle of the lake, there is Kim Chau mound, previously there was a tower for sightseeing. In addition to the main gate, there are four pillars, the left and right sides have a "Ha Ma" stone pillars. The gate of the Temple of Literature is built in Tam Quan style, there are 3 words "Van Mieu Mon" in ancient Chinese style. In the Temple of Literature divided into 5 distinct areas, each area has separated walls and gates.
Temple of Literature
The meaning of Temple of Literature
Temple of Literature is not only the first university of Vietnam but also a candle that always lightens the studious tradition of Vietnamese people. With Cambodia & Vietnam Explorer 14 Day tours, you seem to be loaded into the energy source to be confident in the journey to study and explore the immense knowledge of humans.
Besides, today Temple of Literature is also a place to organize poetry festivals, a place of praise for excellent students and a famous sightseeing place to attract domestic and international tourists when coming to Hanoi. At the same time, this is also a "giving letters" rendezvous for the people of the capital during traditional Tet holidays with the hope of a peaceful new year or during the important exam seasons of the country.
Notes before visiting the Temple of Literature
- Respect the relics, abide by the regulations of the monument management unit such as no harm to artifacts and relics. Do not rub the turtle's head, write, draw, stand, sit on a Doctor's stone pillars.
- Costumes when coming to Temple of Literature should be clean and neat. Do not wear skirts or pants that are too short. No smoking, no wearing hat in the area of â€‹â€‹the Temple, the exhibitor.
- Implementing civilized life in places of worship: there is a proper attitude when celebrating the ceremony, each person only lit an incense stick, etc.
- It is strictly forbidden to take advantage of the right to freedom of belief to perform superstitious activities, gambling, fraud.
- Maintain hygiene, protect the environment: Do not climb walls, climb trees, break branches, pick flowers, step on the grass, fish, swim, litter indiscriminately.
- Do not bring weapons, explosives, flammable substances into the relic area.
- Leave the car in the right place.
- Filming at the Temple of Literature can only be done with the consent of the relics leader.
Through many ups and downs of time and historical events, some of the structures here have been destroyed but the Temple of Literature is still considered a symbol of the educational elite, cultural beauty of Vietnam.